Medical Lab Scientist, Lab Services - Microbiology (Nights) - 68349
Company: The University of Texas Medical Branch
Posted on: November 15, 2019
REQUIRED EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's degree in a Clinical Laboratory Science or Basic
Science. Must obtain certification by the American Society of
Clinical Pathology (ASCP), American Medical Technologists (AMT),
American Board of Histocompatibility or Immunogenetics (ABHI) or
equivalent certification as appropriate, within 15 months of hire.
If any aspect of Transfusion Services is to be performed as part of
the job duties, must have or be eligible to obtain certification by
the American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP) as a MT(ASCP),
MLS(ASCP) or BB(ASCP) within 15 months of hire. Qualifies as
Testing Personnel for high complexity testing under the Clinical
Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA). No experience
Medical Laboratory Scientist, Laboratory Services provides
technical skills necessary to perform and report moderate or highly
complex laboratory tests within a division of the clinical
The salary range for this position is from $53,600 to $80,400
annually, commensurate with experience.
SPECIFIC JOB RELATED DUTIES
* Performs routine and complex laboratory procedures with accuracy
and precision, following standard procedures and recognizes
deviation from expected results.
* Reviews and evaluates accuracy of lab data and reports patient
results with all required documentation.
* Performs, records and evaluates quality control data according to
procedures including checking expiration dates and documentation of
QC performance before use.
* Performs and documents required maintenance procedures for
laboratory instruments and equipment as assigned.
* Recognizes equipment malfunctions and troubleshoots according to
* Recognizes factors that affect measurements and results and takes
* Ability to work independently within established guidelines,
apply problem-solving skills, meet deadlines and meet urgent
patient, provider, and system needs.
* Reviews and suggests revisions for test procedures.
* Participates in evaluations of new tests or instruments, as
* Monitors inventory for proper levels, notifies person responsible
for ordering when supplies needed, and receives and unpacks
supplies when delivered.
* Instructs and trains employees and students. May assess staff for
* Communicates pertinent information to staff members, management,
medical directors, and other divisions.
* Performs laboratory testing as required per division.
* Available to cover different shifts if requested to guarantee
* Adheres to internal controls and reporting structure.
* Adheres to all safety protocols in each laboratory area.
PREFERRED WORK EXPERIENCE
Microbiology experience preferred.
#ld #lmd01 #cls
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without
regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion,
disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression,
genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal
Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and
advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with
Req id: 68349
Keywords: The University of Texas Medical Branch, The Woodlands , Medical Lab Scientist, Lab Services - Microbiology (Nights) - 68349, Healthcare , Galveston, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!